Who are we?
In this document, when we refer to ‘we’, ‘our’, ‘us’ or Tripcatcher, that means Tripcatcher Ltd.
We provide easy-to-use mileage expense software for businesses, bookkeepers and accountants.
What data we collect about you
- Your contact details: name, email address and sometimes your company name too;
- Financial information, such as credit/debit card details, where you provide them to start or update a subscription. We do not store card details but pass them to our payment processor;
- Details of your business trips to calculate your mileage expenses;
- If you are VAT registered, details of your vehicle to claim the VAT on fuel;
- Your home address and work address if you decide to use these as favourite locations on your phone;
- Information about your computer or mobile device and your visits to and use of the website and phone app, including your IP address and approximate geographical location;
- If you use GPS tracking on the phone app, your location will be recorded continuously. But, only the trip start and end location and the trip distance will be transmitted to Tripcatcher when you save the trip. The GPS trail is deleted from the phone after 3 days;
- Any emails or calls you make to Tripcatcher support are recorded in our Help Desk software;
- If you request to be notified of a particular feature launch, we will ask for your explicit permission and then maintain your contact details in the Help Desk software.
How we collect your data
Your personal data may be collected when you:
- Visit the Tripcatcher website;
- Register to use Tripcatcher or you are registered by a 3rd party;
- Use Tripcatcher to record your mileage;
- Contact Tripcatcher;
- Post on the Tripcatcher blog;
- Authorise your accountant, bookkeeper or employer to use Tripcatcher on your behalf.
Our lawful grounds for processing your information
The GDPR requires us to have lawful grounds for processing your data. The lawful grounds are:
- Signing up for a Tripcatcher account: To provide you with the Tripcatcher Service, the lawful basis used is contract – this is implied by the eventual exchange of money in return for the provision of the Tripcatcher Service. The personal details captured as part of the signup process are deemed to be preparation for the implied contract and therefore have the same lawful basis: contract. (Although this is an implied contract, you may cancel it at any time);
- Email marketing: We rely on your consent to email you with marketing material. Bear in mind, essential operational emails, such as invoices, are not marketing material and are sent to you with the lawful purpose of (implied) contract.
How we use your data
The data we collect about you is used to provide our Service to you. In particular:
- To calculate your mileage expenses and submit them to your bookkeeping software or to print them;
- To provide you with information about changes being made to the Service you are subscribing to;
- To collect payment and provide invoices;
- To communicate operational information, eg changes to the Service, assistance with using the software, etc;
- To communicate marketing information (about Tripcatcher) in accordance with your marketing preferences;
- To support you, eg the resolution of technical support issues or other issues relating to the websites or services;
- To enhance our websites and services: for example, by tracking and monitoring your use of our website and services so we can keep improving;
- To protect you eg detect and prevent any fraudulent or malicious activity;
- To analyse, aggregate and report eg we may use the personal data we collect about you and other users of our website and Service to produce aggregated and anonymised analytics reports.
How we share your data
There may be times when we need to share your personal data with third parties. We will only disclose your personal data to:
- Third party service providers and partners who assist us to support delivery of, or provide functionality for the website or Service. For example we use Stripe.com to complete financial transactions – when you purchase our Service your details and credit card information is handed off to Stripe;
- Regulators, law enforcement bodies, government agencies, courts or other third parties where it is necessary to comply with the law or regulations;
- If your account was provided by a 3rd party (your accountant, bookeeper or employer) your personal data will be shared with this 3rd party;
How long do we keep you data for?
- We will keep sufficient data to meet Tripcatcher’s legal obligations for 6 years after the your account is closed;
- Mileage expense data will be deleted when your account is closed.
It’s your personal data that we hold and you have certain rights relating to it:
- Right of access: Whilst you have a Tripcatcher account you can view your personal contact data, mileage expense data, configuration data and billing data in the Tripcatcher web app. If you no longer have a Tripcatcher account, you may write to us and ask for a copy of the data we hold on you. You will need to confirm your identity before we can provide this data;
- Right of erasure: You have the right to ask for us to delete your personal information. We can only delete data that we aren’t required to retain for legal purposes, such as data that may be required by the Inland Revenue;
- Right of rectification: If you believe our records of your personal information are inaccurate you have the right to correct the data, either by updating your details in the Tripcatcher web app or by contacting us;
- Right to restrict processing: You have the right to ask us to restrict the processing of your personal data if you disagree with its accuracy or legitimate use;
- Right to object: You have the right to object to processing where we are using your personal information for direct marketing. But, we will only use your contact details for marketing if we have your consent. You can withdraw this consent at any time;
- Right to data portability: You may ask us to provide your data to you in machine-readable format. Depending on your configuration we may ask you to publish the mileage expenses to your bookkeeping software or to export it;
- Rights related to automatic decision-making: You have the right to object to automated decision making. Although Tripcatcher doesn’t undertake any automated decision making.
To exercise any of these rights, please send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Keeping your personal data safe
We promise to keep your personal data safe and secure. There are appropriate and proportional security policies and organisational and technical measures in place to help us do this. For example, we require specialist suppliers who process secure payments to comply with the Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard (PCI DSS) standards.
- Who can see my data? Only appropriately trained staff can access your data. It is stored on secure servers with features to prevent unauthorised access. If your account was provided by an accountant, bookkeeper or employer then they can also access your mileage data and contact data (they will have provided Tripcatcher with your contact data when your account was created);
- Where is my personal information stored? The data is stored in Data Centres managed by MongoDB near Dublin, Eire: part of the European Economic Area (“EEA”). Your data is not transferred out of the EEA.
How to Contact Us
We’re always keen to hear from you. If you’re curious about what personal data we hold about you or you have a question or feedback for us on this policy, our website or Service, please get in touch at email@example.com.
We hope you enjoy using Tripcatcher!